Saturday, January 8, 2011

Starting a new school year...this month!

We are going to start Ambleside Online this month. It's going to work out beautifully because I've also decided that we will start our new school years in January from now on. This makes perfect sense for us! We school 4 days a week year round, but we take off the months of November and December for the holidays. So, by starting in January, we will be finished with a 36 week schedule by the end of October or beginning of November. Also, the children are almost finished with their current math books and will be moving into the next grade some time during this month or February. It all works out great! I am still waiting for a few books I ordered to arrive--and I mean a VERY few-- for Ambleside Years 3 & 5, which are the years we'll be doing. Fortunately, I already own most of the necessary books and the rest are available FREE online. While we wait, we are going to read some of the books from Years 2 and 4. We'll be starting this on Monday. I can't wait!

Also, if you're interested in learning more about Charlotte Mason, I highly recommend the book linked in this post. I'm currently reading it, and it has made a HUGE impression on me and is having a major impact on our homeschooling. Happy reading!
     Edited to add: Wow, LOL!!! We're actually going to use Ambleside Online Years 1 & 3 starting this week, as opposed to 3 & 5 or even 2 & 4. After further research, I realized that these years are the best fit for "Bug" and "Doodles." Ambleside is quite advanced, so if you plan to use it, take that into consideration. "Bug" is almost 8 & will use Year 1 & "Doodles" is 10 and will use Year 3.

No comments:

Self-Care That's Not So Fun

As promised in my previous post, I am now going to talk about self-care that's not so much fun. This kind of self-care involves thin...