Friday, February 8, 2013

Homeschooling and Life: Feb. 1-8, 2013

  Well, we had another good week. Baby Girl is continuing to improve. This week she learned about "around" with her Sit & Spin. She will spin it by hand, and when I help her, she can ride it, too. As you'll see in the pics, I personally demonstrated to her how to ride it. Fun times! She will laugh and laugh and say, "Round and round!" She gets so excited, and it just pure joy for all of us to see her having so much fun. She also got interested in her iPad again, so we've been using it to practice letters and counting.
  Bug is still LOVING his Narnia unit study. We are both having a blast! This week, just to cover a few topics, we learned about bears, the human eye, and optical illusions. And the Bible lessons...WOW!!! They are phenomenal. C.S. Lewis is brilliant. I am truly learning as much as Bug is with this study.
  Now, to Doodles...I have made the decision to switch her from Sonlight to Oak Meadow. I was going to wait until next year, but she BEGGED me to go ahead and make the switch since I've already received the Oak Meadow materials (bought used...yay!!!) While *I* love Sonlight, I have come to the difficult conclusion that it's just not a good fit for my kiddos. They just don't enjoy reading that many books. It overwhelms them, and that, in turn, overwhelms me. I just have too much going on to juggle that many books with each child. We needed something with fewer books, yet still just as meaty. And Oak Meadow fits that bill; plus it is very artsy/craftsy, which suits Doodles perfectly. So, with a bit of sadness - but also excitement - we bid goodbye to Sonlight and say hello to Oak Meadow.
  Here are some of our highlights from this week:

Treat of the Week

I demonstrate the Sit & Spin for Baby Girl

Baby Girl rides her Sit & Spin

Bug helps Baby Girl read Goodnight Moon on her special TV

Baby Girl and I use her iPad to learn letters and numbers

Bug drew "tree people" for his Narnia unit study

Bug completed this Bear Worksheet for his Narnia studies

Bug used the internet to learn about bears. He also read a book about bears and told me several things he discovered-many of which I didn't know!

Bug and I studied about the human eye

Bug and I had so much fun looking at optical illusions at this site

Bug learned about graphing in one of his math lessons this week.

1 comment:

jeana said...

Love it! She sure is blessed to have a family that works so hard with her :)

Self-Care That's Not So Fun

As promised in my previous post, I am now going to talk about self-care that's not so much fun. This kind of self-care involves thin...